Final Exams and Winter Break
December 9, 2011 - Happy holidays, Cadets! I would like to wish everyone the best on their final exams next week and remind you that winter break runs from December 16th to January 8th. Any cadet that wants to stay over winter break needs to let me know by Tuesday.
Please join us in the cafeteria after Officer Wardís final exam on Thursday for a holiday cookies and milk party. Have a fun holiday season, and letís get ready for a busy semester next year!
November 22, 2011 - Just a friendly reminder, Cadets - the Academy will be closed Wednesday, Thursday and Friday this week for Thanksgiving break. Regular classes will commence again on Monday.
Anyone unable to go home for the break is welcome to celebrate Thanksgiving with the Academy faculty and staff in the Cafeteria. This year weíve invited a few of the Academy alumni that are in the area and Betty and her baker elves have been very busy in the kitchen making mountains of desserts. I heard something about pies-on-a-stick so it should be extra special!
Halloween Costume Ball
October 28, 2011 - As you may have seen on the Digiboard, I'd like to remind you all that next Monday is our annual Halloween Costume Ball. Join us in the cafeteria at 4 pm for ghoulish games, tantalizing treats, and a tour through the haunted corn maze in the Academy Garden that Captain Wits has been working on for weeks. I hear it is terrifying!
Be sure to dress up for the costume contest. This year, we will award spooktacular prizes for the Scariest, Most Amusing, and Most Creative costumes, and anyone with a costume will be eligible to win! Also, Alexi still needs a few volunteers for the decoration committee, so please see her if you would like to lend a hand.
Happy Halloween, cadets!
Announcing a new free mobile app, BeSeen!
October 13, 2011 - Cadets, I have some exciting news today. The Carnegie Cadets and MySecureCyberspace are pleased to announce our first mobile app!
BeSeen is a new free mobile app from MySecureCyberspace and its partners that is now available in the Apple App Store, designed for the iPhone and compatible with the iPad. It will also become available for Android devices in December of this year. This app is designed for grades 6 and up and simulates a social networking site to teach students about the cyber threats they may find on such websites. And, of course, the app is fun!
You can find out more about BeSeen on our Other Resources page. We hope you enjoy it. While you're at it, check out our Defending Mobile Devices page to brush up on your mobile defense skills too!
National Cyber Security Awareness Month
October 1, 2011 - Happy NCSAM, Cadets! NCSAM is a time to remind people that the Internet can be dangerous, but it doesnít have to be as long as you are careful. Take control of your online identity and think twice about what you share online. Take care of your devices by protecting them from malware and theft. To learn more, visit the Faculty Pages.
As long as you do your part, the Internet can be a fun and exciting place to share ideas. Just remember: above all else, be smart! If something doesnít seem right with your computer or someone is bothering you, tell a trusted adult right away. Lastly, EVERYONE can participate in NCSAM, especially cadets like you who can help teach others, so spread the word!
Welcome Back Cadets!
September 6, 2011 - Welcome back to another semester at the Academy! I hope everyone had a safe and relaxing summer and is rested up and ready to train. I know I am!
Some news of note:
- Jax and Sparky will officially be joining this Fallís class of Cadets, so everyone please congratulate them! Weíre so proud at how far they have come.
- We have an exciting new series of guest lectures and hands-on workshops planned for the weekly seminars, including a visit from the legendary Captain Marbles and some cyber forensics training from Officer Marshall. Please remember attendance is mandatory!
- The Green Warriors Environment Club will be holding several fundraisers over the year to collect money for a greenhouse. Please see Dana if you are interested in helping out.
- The Cadet Lounge has some new gaming consoles and board games thanks to a generous donation from Alanís family. Get some good use out of them, Gaming Club!
Itís wonderful to see everyone again, letís get ready for an intense and exciting semester!
National Internet Safety Month and Finals
June 2, 2011 - June is National Internet Safety Month, cadets. I know you are all very diligent about protecting yourselves in Cyberspace, but perhaps your friends and family could use a refresher course? Why not share the new faculty pages with them? They are loaded with tips and advice for the whole family about keeping data and devices safe while in Cyberspace.
Next week is Finals Week at the Academy, so while I encourage you to go out and enjoy this spectacular weather we've been having, set aside a good amount of time for studying this weekend too!
Welcome to the New Site!
May 18, 2011 - Welcome, cadets! We're very excited to reveal a new website design. You'll notice several new additions:
- The Academy Library provides even more assistance with your Web research. Check out Maya's research guides and the new Cyberpedia. They're excellent!
- The best tidbits from the talented faculty are highlighted on the new Faculty Pages. There, you'll find in-depth cyber defense information on everything from maintaining your online identity to catching cyber criminals.
- In Cadet Life, you can see what life at the Academy is like. You'll learn about the fun times, see photos of the cadets, and view the Cadet project galleries.